Entry Fee: $25 COFW members, $30 all others. To pay by PayPal, click here.
Make check or money order payable to "Central Ohio Fiction Writers." If a check is returned for insufficient funds and a valid replacement is not received by May 16, the entry will be disqualified. All funds are is US dollars.
Qualifications: Contest open to unpublished, uncontracted, book-length (40,000 words or more) manuscripts. COFW recognizes self-published books as published.
- Email your entry as an attachment in RTF format, Karin@Shahs.com.
- Your entry should be the scene of your hero or heroine's first meeting or reunion (up to 15 pages.) You may also submit an optional, un-judged, one-page set-up providing necessary background for the first-meeting, as a page within your attached submission.
- Your cover email should include the name of the category you are entering and how your entrance fee is being submitted.
- Your entry should not have your name anywhere on the document. This includes removing your name from the "User Information" area that is found in the "Options" under the "Tools" dropdown menu of Microsoft Word, or any similar programs features.
- Entrants may submit more than one entry in a category, but a separate entry fee must accompany each entry.
- If few than seven entries are received in the entry's category, it will be reassigned to an alternate category (see entry form.)
- If an entry is disqualified for any reason (clearly not romance fiction, improper format, etc.), the entry fee will be returned to the contestant. The only exception being entries that go under contract during the contest. These entries will be withdrawn without refund.
- Manuscripts should be typed, double-spaced, with one-inch margins all around and unjustified right margins. The optional set-up page may be single-spaced.
- Use readable font (12-point Times New Roman or Courier New recommended). As long as the font is clear and readable, there is no deduction for failure to use a specific font.
- Every page, including the set-up, should have the title of the manuscript and the category in the upper left-hand corner and the page number in the upper right-hand corner. Start the first page of the entry (not the set-up page) with page number one, even if this excerpt is not the beginning of your manuscript.
- The author's name must not appear anywhere on the entry.
Contest Entry Form and Contestant's Agreement can be downloaded in PDF
Deadline: Entries are due May 11. Every effort will be made to notify winners on or around August 17. Submissions can be sent after March 1, 2013.
Judging: Each entry will be evaluated by two judges, at least one being a published author. All unpublished judges have RWA PRO status. Entries submitted by COFW members will be judged by non-COFW members.
Total scores will be averaged to determine winners. If a 20-point variance occurs and one of the scores is 80 or higher, a third judge will score the entry and two closest scores will be averaged to determine the final score.
Winners: First place winner in each category receive $30. The top three manuscripts in each category, with a minimum average score of 80, will be reviewed by an agent or editor in the romance publishing industry.
*Romantic Suspense -- Rebecca Strauss literary agent Mckintosh and Otis Inc
*Historical -- Julie Mianecki Junior editor Berkley
*Single-title -- Kate Dresser Editor HQN
*Paranormal -- Alicia Condon editor Kensington
*Young Adult -- Annie Stone associate editor Harlequin TEEN
*Erotic Romance -- Nicole Fischer Editorial Assistant Avon
*Category-length contemporary -- Allison Carroll Editorial Assistant Harlequin Desire
Central Ohio Fiction Writers thanks you for entrusting us with the fruits of your labor. We hope the Ignite the Flame Contest is a rewarding experience for you. Best of luck and happy writing.
For more information contact:
Karin Shah Contest Coordinator
Download Entry Form
Use the buttons below to pay via PayPal.
COFW Contest (COFW members only), $25.
COFW Contest (non members), $30
Return to top of page